View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #7
teafour
Corner Chaser

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR1000, 1986 VFR750, 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Are you sure the Honda wheel and appropriate tire are going to fit inside the Ninja's swingarm?

There will be some significant issues to resolve to make a GSRX or ZX7 front forks/triple clamp and F1 front wheel work as well.

Honestly, a properly set-up stock front suspension and a better rear shock, as well as fresh tires, will work well enough for a track day - especially for a newer track rider. This is my current ride.

Making major "improvements" to the suspension/chassis dynamics can often lead to unexpected and unsafe changes in handling.
Good points to make and I expect some work in it. I'm not a new trackday rider although I'm rusty and trying to get back into it. Attached a picture of my current ride along with my two teenage boys that will eventually get to ride this bike after dad finishes playing with it.

The Honda wheels are essentially the same sizes as the 2008-2012 250R wheels which people have posted throughout my readings on these forums using. So I don't expect any clearance issues on the wheels themselves any different than those from the next gen ninja conversions people have overcome. I fully expect to be making new spacers and collars. I haven't started this portion of the project yet as I'm still working on the carbs and such to drive up and down with some confidence still.

The front suspension on this specific bike is crap. The forks are pitted and ugly, seals are blown completely out on one side with pits in it's stagnant sitting position. Since I'm wanting to better that and go to 17" wheels, I'm going to be either buying someone's used stock and modifying it or I'm going to try and use what I already own in storage and modifying that instead. I'm out of practice from doing it but in my past, I've done many of these kinds of mods in the 90s when everything started to get wider rims from the factory to bikes out of the 80's. The front end will need a mod on the stem going into the neck of the frame in some direction that's yet to be determined. One additional concern I have is that I currently have no upper fairing so I don't know how wide the front end is for clearance to the bodywork. That could change what I'm doing as well.

I did get a GSX600 rear shock for $20 that I think is a common mod looked at through these forums. For $20, figured I can't go wrong if it doesn't want to work out easily.

Definitely a lot of TBD on what I'm doing, so I thank you for the input. I'm trying to use many of the mod posts in these forums as a guide for any obvious fails to avoid where I can.

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170415_165414.jpg (105.7 KB, 9 views)
teafour is offline   Reply With Quote