View Single Post
Old December 6th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #1
zenmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Troubleshooting my Ninja

Hey ya'll. So, I bought this 08 ninja with 500 miles on it. Pretty much brand new condition although was never winterized correctly. So I had some basic problems... stalling w/ anything but very slow throttle turn, hesitant and boggy up to 5k revs, uneasy/crazy power surge @ 6k, very slow throttle response in general.

So, I replaced oil, coolant, and fuel, drained float bowls, ran some ethanol free and a bit of sea foam, and the bike improved immensely, now even with wot at idle the bike won't stall, but there is a huge lag before the revs pick up, then they drop slow.

The revs will drop to 2k and hang there for about 10-15 seconds before finally dropping down to idle. Throttle response from idle is still very bad, a quick wide open blip and it hesitates to climb.

Today I removed the snorkel just to see what happens, I believe I was running too lean to begin with so it didnt really help, I think it actually made it worse so I'll be putting the snorkel back on.

What do you guys think I do now? I know a carb clean and possible shim may be in order but I want to exasperate all other options before doing that. maybe tinker with the mixture screws? Ride it for 200 miles or so with the new fuel? please help with any suggestions, thanks.