View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #11
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnaton View Post
Super interesting. Could I have a problem of a switched ground then? Trying to figure out why this speedo isn't saving my settings. Running the switched power from the Red/Blue, constant power direct from Red battery and ground to Black and yellow. Should work right?

As a hail mary I switched the two powers to see if there's was something I missed and that just made things worse, as expected. Ground direct to battery negative didn't help either.

Color me stumped
Yes, those are the correct wire colors for those uses. You'd only have a problem with switched ground if you're using the wires between the igniter and coils (the actual coil circuits) as ground for the gauge.

Like empire00 said, if you've got the power hooked to the battery and are using the common black/yellow ground or the battery itself, there's not much else to go wrong. I'd suspect a bad (or poorly documented) gauge.

There can be confusion around the red/blue wire though. It's red/blue coming out of the TAIL fuse and going to the ignition switch, dash illumination lights, and brake light switches. The wires from the brake light switches to the bulb are blue/red. The oil pressure sensor also uses a blue/red wire, and runs to the dash for the warning light. But again, this should be going to the switched power circuit on your gauge, so using the wrong source here should just result in the gauge not turning on at the right time (as opposed to working properly but not saving settings).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote