View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2021, 07:22 PM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

in most cases I've found that the turn signal switch in the handle bars is at fault
or a bulb is bad or turn signal relay is bad to check the bulb replace with a known good one, to check the relay unfortionately the same is done ( replace with a known good one)
some times when a bulb burns out they also blow the fuze so it should be the first thing you check....
after following the above suggestions by the guys, if you still have no luck but have power to everything.... I can almost guarantee you that it is the turn signal switch in the handle bars that is corroded, and it needs to be taken apart and cleaned.
on several older bikes I have had, the switch itself was so corroded that the bare metal contacts would slide across each other without making electrical contact
so cleaning the once shinnie copper contacts that are now dark brown with emery cloth/sand paper to make them shine again is in order !
those switches are exposed to the weather and using WD-40 on all the switches on the handle bars really helps ! it lubricates and drives out the moisture ! a good thing in this case !
some times even just flipping the switch many times will make the thing start working ... but this isn't a real good idea because there is obvious resistance in the switch now...and to prevent blowing fuzes , over heating wires and the like , the switch needs to be cleaned or replaced !
my 2 coppers !
Bob.........