View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #10
SV-Mark
Never enough time

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 690sm, ex250, kdx200, nc50, z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Allmayer Beck View Post
Did a 1200 mile trip to Canada around the Gaspe Peninsula. The terrain was flat to very mountainous--at times necessitating a downshift or two to maintain a minimum of 7000 RPM. I was travelling with a 1000cc BMW and an 800cc Honda Sport Bike (somewhat modified--very fast) I had no trouble staying with either machine. The BMW was running about 3500 RPM and the Honda was running about 4500 to 5000 RPM. I was running between 7000 to 8000 RPM. We cruised at about 65 t0 70 MPH. The bike took it all in stride. It burned no oil and got about 55mpg. The seat was fine--I expected a sore butt doing 300 miles in one pop, but was pleasantly surprised. We spent 6 hours in torrential rains. The Dunlop tyres that came with the bike will probably wear like iron, but are nothing to write home about in wet conditions. The OEM windscreen is totally useless. It directs the rain into the bottomn of the helmet, putting spray on the inside of the faceshield. I am sure that this winter there will be a plethora of aftermarket acessories available for the 250EX. Zero Gravity already makes a windscreen which is 4" taller than the OEM. I may order one sometime in the off season. Overall, I am very happy with the bike. It drew a lot of attention with its bright green paint job. One woman commented that it looked like a frog. I thought that was pretty slick, so I named the bike "Kermit"
You are awesome Alex, That was quite a trip, BTW how tall are you? I'm 6'1 and can ride it pretty comfortable like, But I have never spent more than a 1/2 day in the saddle. I'm riding with 1 or 2 guys on full sized BMWs on my tour later this month.