View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #3
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
The only downside is that you won't get 100% function unless your headlights also come with an LED reflector inside - without it, the light will have dimmer spots within the circle it casts, because LEDs need an entirely different reflector (since they're so directional). You can see a bit of it on the ground in my night pics up there, but that's also partially because my garbage delkevic headlight reflector is bubbling in like 4 places. Basically, with a conventional reflector, your throw/spot light will still be good, but your spill light won't be as good as it could be. Cyclops includes two different thickness spacers with the kit, which are supposed to help alleviate it somewhat.
That's the problem with putting anything other than an H4 bulb into an H4 headlight, whether it's LED, HID, plutonium, etc. The headlight housing is engineered to match the way the H4 bulb puts out light, so anything that puts out light in a different way won't match the housing as well. Some designs will simply work better than others in these retrofits. Thanks for sharing your observations on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
The fan makes an adorable "wheeee" sound.
I hate the idea of adding a little fan to my headlight. The most common failure with modern electronics is their cooling fans, since that's basically the only moving part. There are other headlight LEDs that instead use loops of wire braid as a heatsink with a ton of surface area. As long as you're able to get a little airflow over it, I think I would much prefer that type of setup, as it's one less moving part to fail. Probably not great for a round headlight bucket, but it seems like it would work very well behind a fairing.

With your standard round headlight bucket, you also have the option of using the HD-style LED projector headlight. http://www.baggerbags.com/products/7...le-harley.html (video) It costs a decent bit more, but you don't have to worry about a fan and I'm willing to bet it does a better job of evenly lighting up all the areas it should (simply because the whole unit is engineered as one piece).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.