View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #8
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
My headlight is pointed way down than others, though.
This is another "fix" that people do which can actually make things a lot worse. If your headlight is aimed too low, not only are you not throwing light in the distance where you need it, but you can also be making the foreground area too bright, which causes your pupils to close down, essentially giving you the same visibility results as having a dimmer light (added onto actually having less light where you need it).

I'm not trying to pick on M42 here (it sounds like she doesn't really use the light for illumination much anyway), I just want to point out that headlights are designed to put out light in a certain pattern. Simply aiming a headlight lower does not correct for a mismatched bulb/housing that produces a distorted output pattern.

I'm not here just to tell people they're wrong. I just want to point out the possible issues that a lot of people probably don't consider with a "simple" change like this. Blinding other drivers or unintentionally crippling your own vision most likely won't end with good results.

I've been trying to find an LED headlight assembly that would work in the 500's fairing, but haven't had much luck...

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote