View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2015, 09:10 AM   #4
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Hello! I am back after a month of parts searching. I have dropped a newish engine into my bike and she runs! Sorta. When I got the engine it had water in the oil so I have flushed almost all of that out. Want to run another cycle or two of fresh oil just to be on the safe side, but the oil is clear now. I used my carbs off the engine that died which ran great and put everything back together. Now it struggles to start. I have to run full choke and throttle bump it to get it to start up. Once running its great other than some white smoke occasionally from the lower left side that I can't figure out.
I have drained the carbs only to find nice clean gas, taken them out and apart to find they are spotless as well. I have checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing.

It sounds very similar to this post here https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241319, except for the smoke and I can't even get the bike to idle without the choke on.

Do I just try adjusting the fuel air or is there some other culprit at work here.
I'm not sure I'm understating your issue? The two bolded parts in the quote seem to contradict. Needing choke and a little throttle to start cold isn't a big deal, mine seemed to prefer a little choke even starting warm. Or what am I missing? If it won't idle you can raise the throttle stop by turning the black knob under the carbs to the right until it will maintain an idle. And both of these could be helped if not solved by adjusting the valves like Scott said.

Where exactly is the smoke coming from? The outside of the exhaust pipes will smoke for a little while after it's been apart, that's just burning off grease that came off your hands when you were putting it together.