Thread: Rod knock
View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2020, 07:58 PM   #2
Artruck
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ex250 (black), silver 2005 ex250 scrambler, 2003 ex250 donor bike, 2006 kymco people 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsurber View Post
I was told my 05 ninja is rod knocking I was told to do a engine swap. But I'm having a hard time finding a engine how hard is it to rebuild the engine
Sad tidings.... the rebuild is harder and often more expensive than most can find a running engine swap. You will have to tear down the engine and split the case, then inspect the rods and crank to make sure they can be reused before you rebuild with new bearings and all new gaskets and consumables. It’s kind of a snow ball effect of “as long as I have it torn down this far” and you start to replace more and more parts and upgrade more parts. Then you have the cost of OEM vs aftermarket vs Upgrade / bigger displacement always coming up.

If I was you, I would cost out a who rebuild in several different ways (oem vs big bore) and figure for 120% cost, and then think about the value of the bike and how long it will take to find a used engine or some other engine swap. A ninja 500 engine “can” swap in. I have always thought about how cool a 2 stroke ninja would be.

Worst comes to worst, just tear it down and see how bad it is. That costs nothing is you have the time and space.
Artruck is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.