View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2019, 06:30 PM   #35
RiderDonnie
ninjette.org member

Name: Donnie

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
When you cleaned carbs, how many turns out did you set pilot screws to?

Most critical is that vacuum port on carb not be open to atmosphere. Either by plugging vacuum hose into petcock or plugging its open end with bolt since you don’t have rubber cap. Let’s figure out how this petcock works.

Now this looks more correct. Can you get photo of back side of petcock from other side of bike?

I’ve have encountre petcock like this before and have suspicion. That may explain why bike dies after 90-sec as petcock may not be delivering sufficient fuel because there’s vacuum-leak at petcock diaphragm. Brass nipple should NOT be removable, and just pushing it back in would give insufficient seal. Should re-install brass nipple with some RTV silicone on outside of nipple and tap it in with rubber mallet. Then test:

1. With bike off, disconnect both hoses from carbs and aim fuel line from carb and aim into measuring cup

2. Turn petcock to ON, does it flow petrol? If you get petrol out of both hoses, we might need to get new petcock or plug up one port.

3. Next apply vacuum to petcock’s vacuum port (unplug from carb end also). Vacuum can be applied by sucking on vacuum hose, dangerous if petcock if diaphragm is leaking. Or use syringe.

I prefer hand-operated vacuum-pump w/gauge because you can collect two valuable pieces of data. One is vacuum-level that opens petcock. Other is whether diaphragm holds vacuum, or you need to continually apply more and more vacuum to keep petrol flowing.

So, next stage after confirming VRM status is determining functionality of petcock.

What is the vrm? And the bike was running before I took the carburetor out.
It was sitting and then the owner got it running and wanted to sell it and that’s when I bought it..
I think the vrm is working. But bike DOES have to be on for it to charge battery.. I can’t get it started. I will try in the morning. It’s hooked up to charger right now.
But yes there are two brass nipples from petcock, the fuel line nipple does not come out, it’s pretty intact. The vacuum hose nipple is the one that comes out and I just stuck is right back in and then attatched hose to the nipple.(as shown in that picture)
I will link another one from other side of carb
Also will get the silicone and get it back in there and let you know.

1. You said both hoses from carb? So disconnect the vacuum hose and the fuel hose from the carb? And aim them into measuring cup.. and the other side of the hoses leave connected to petcock? Right? Test if petrol flows out of both hoses or just fuel hose ? Everything correct? Just making 100% sure! Thank you

2. Turn on and test , measure.

3. So like above^ ...leave vacuum hose connected to petcock vacuum nipple port and suck on it from the side I disconnected from carb? Or like you said use the hand operated vacuum pump.. what about the fuel line hose, do I re connect it back to carb and petcock? Correct?
RiderDonnie is offline   Reply With Quote