View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:01 AM   #125
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
OK you traitors, I picked up www.r25-forum.org. Let's hope that's what Yamaha still calls it when it's released as a production bike...

R25.org is still available, but they wanted $300 to register it instead of the $20 that a normal domain costs (domain + private registration).
Might want to get the r3 URLs too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [url=www.fz-09forums.com/forum/2014-fz-09-general-discussion-forum/5314-yamaha-registered-yzf-r3-r3-trademarks-what-will-bike.html[/url

There are two bikes that could end up with the YZF-R3 name IMO. The YZF-R3 could be an upcoming small-displacement sportbike. The YZF-R25 was a prototype that had a displacement of 250cc. It could be that Yamaha decided to up the displacement of this bike in order to compete with bikes like the Honda CBR300R and Kawasaki Ninja 300. The R3 could use a beefed up version of the Rs5's parallel-twin engine. This route would be similar to what Kawasaki did with the Ninja 250 in turning it into the Ninja 300.

The second possibility is that the "3" may signify a three-cylinder engine, following the return of Yamaha Triples in the FZ-09. Yamaha previously announced that it would introduce more three-cylinder models, and a fully-faired sportbike would be a logical follow-up to the FZ-09. Usually Yamaha uses numbers to indicate engine displacement and not number of cylinders though. Given that, a 300cc sportbike is a more likely outcome.

Right now Yamaha is denying knowledge of a YZF-R3. It pointed towards the R25 shown in Tokyo instead

edit: Speaking on the new yami, I've seen them call the engine an 'inline 2'.... I'm not engine guy but if it is an inline 2 cylinder, how does that differ from a parallel twin?

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote