Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluberryrain View Post
So,

Should I turn the engine back so that the exhaust cam sits flush against the caps, and bolt it down without valve pressure, turn the engine forward to 2T (in which the cam lobes will push down on the buckets), and bolt down the intake without valve pressure? And then install the tensioner, check the clearance, etc.
The crankshaft turns two times while the cam shafts rotate once.
The 2T mark only indicates that cylinder 2 is at top dead center.

There is a rotational position of the crankshaft (within 720 degrees of rotation) for which none of the cam lobes force the valves open by pressing on the valve.
If both spark plugs have been removed, there is no resistance from compression to easily find that spot.

I see no reason to have the cam tensioner removed during this operation, except for previously cleaning and lubricating the tensioner's mechanism, but I may be wrong.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote