View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #11
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Cylinder #2 is the cylinder on your right when you normally sit on the bike.
Normal rotation of the crankshaft is counter-clockwise when looking at the engine from the left (generator/chain sprocket) side.

The 2T mark (which is solidly linked to the crankshaft) indicates that piston #2 is at the top position with IN and EX valves perfectly closed (which means end of the compression stroke and beginning of the work stroke).

For that to be true (an the timing of the valves to be correct), all the EX and IN cam lobes for that cylinder should be pointing up and away from each other).
For higher precision, the lines marked on the cam sprockets should align with the edge of the cylinder's head.

Same should happen for cylinder #1 (left one).

For more clarity, please read this:
http://www.cyclepedia.com/ninja-250-...lve-clearance/

Right, so with the understanding that the crankshaft will hit 2T twice per revolution, I cycled the crankshaft to the second 2T while holding tension on the chain, and there was no more teeter tottering, (I could have also just left the crankshaft where it was, taken the cams out and rotated them 180 degrees) and I managed to get the lines on the cam sprockets lined up with the cylinder head.

However, the cam lobes for exhaust cylinder 1 were sitting on top of the bucket. So, I rotated the engine a little bit, until the lobes were sitting flat on the bucket, put the caps on and bolted everything down. Then, I turned the engine back to 2T again.

Quote:
The 2T mark (which is solidly linked to the crankshaft) indicates that piston #2 is at the top position with IN and EX valves perfectly closed (which means end of the compression stroke and beginning of the work stroke).

For that to be true (an the timing of the valves to be correct), all the EX and IN cam lobes for that cylinder should be pointing up and away from each other).
With the engine at 2T, cylinder 2's EX & IN valves are perfectly closed, as the cam lobes are facing away from each-other, in the same way you'd check the clearance. Exhaust valve buckets are starting to get pushed down on cylinder 1.

Is this thing timed? Seems like it to me anyways.
Bluberryrain is offline   Reply With Quote