Old November 27th, 2016, 08:15 AM   #21
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
Thanks @akima! I agree, the Brexit vote and the Trump election are related. To me it seems more democracies are waking up to the down side of increased government control and intervention in our lives. The British people refused to sell their souls for the supposed benefits of free trade.
Great post. You forgot to put "free trade" in quotes though! Best as I can tell, all these "free trade" agreements (including NAFTA) are more about trade restrictions which create advantages for some individuals/companies and disadvantages for others. Often very large companies are the beneficiaries of these kinds of things and smaller companies are hindered.

That's just my take though. These laws are complex and I don't have the time to become highly informed on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I agree with you @MrAtom that it is a much better idea to split the state to form a 51st state than it would be to secede. Both courses of action would be difficult to get past the federal government if not impossible in the case seceding.
What do you and the other Americans in here think about getting rid of the vote weighting imposed by the electoral college system for future elections? I haven't heard any good arguments as to why your vote should be worth more or less depending on which state you live in. It makes more sense to me that 1 vote should equal... 1 vote.