View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2023, 12:15 PM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Hopefully this isn't very widely used. Not that I send much email, but my host is similarly listed in their Level 3 blacklist (my subnet is clean, but other blocks owned by the ISP have spam activity on them), and I wasn't even aware of it. I have a daily RBL check against my IP, and this has never shown up on it. I host email for my family members and haven't heard any complaints, so it's a little more traffic than just what I personally send.

They even say that you shouldn't block based on the Level 3 list (just use it as part of something like SpamAssassin to increase its spam score).
Quote:
Use of Level 3 for blocking is recommended only if you are a HARDLINER and you want to cause service providers and carriers that have spammer / abusive clients to be quickly and effectively blocked and it does not matter to you if regular email is also occasionally rejected.
Their Level 3 list is designed specifically to cause collateral damage to pressure ISPs into fixing problems elsewhere in their network. OVH has almost 4.3 million IPs (about .1% of the entire IPv4 space), which are all getting put on this blacklist. For comparison, their Level 1 is generally single IPs that have actually sent spam, though even that has some exceptions for other non-spam "bad behavior".

They do have cheaper 1- ($76) and 2-year ($98) whitelisting plans available, but I'm also in favor of not giving these people any money. But if it comes down to absolutely needing to do it, at least it's not quite so costly.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote