View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:52 AM   #1
thegregbradley
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ex250

Question '04 ninja starter free spin... help?

Hey everyone, been lurking here for some time, finally have a question to ask...

The bike is a 2004 EX250 with fairly low mileage (3,200 miles, bought in December with 1,900). My bike has been making sort of a god awful screech when trying to start, kind of every now and then. Today, after work I went to start the bike and it would ONLY make that noise, then the starter wouldn't crank the engine over at all... it just freely spins.

I don't know much about bike starting systems.... I've just done a bunch of research, but couldn't find a definite answer. I checked the battery voltage, it's 12.5v with the key on. This is a few hours after riding it home today after push starting it. I suppose it COULD be the battery, but the starter will spin pretty well (although, freely, not engaged). Is there a starter solenoid on a bike? I was reading about the starter clutch, could it be that?

And finally, I'm okay with car repair but never had to do anything on my bike... is this something I can possibly tackle myself? I've done car starters/water pumps/oil pumps, things of that nature. I downloaded a repair manual for the 2008+ bikes, and the engine should be fairly similar, but there are obviously some major & minor differences.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
thegregbradley is offline   Reply With Quote