View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #170
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

cuong is mostly correct, good info!

also emulators = gold valves haha

Just to add a few things: if you're bottoming out your suspension on the track, spring preload adjusters won't be a solution. You're mostly just adjusting the spring preload for normal road use, but preloading the springs more doesnt really make up for overly-soft springs. However, with stiffer springs you could use the preloader to fine-tune how the front end feels at the track.

Oil will soften or stiffen DAMPING only. The stock fork damping is pretty soft with not much low or high speed compression damping, and moderate rebound damping. Good for soaking up potholes and expansion joints, but less so for performance. If you switch to heavier oil, you're increasing all of these damping characteristics equally, which is an improvement but less than ideal. Thats why you get an emulator, because it changes the characteristics of the fork damping for a more performance-minded ride.

From experience, heres my impression of the improvements all these made on my bike on the track (with a pirelli supercorsa sc1 front & bridgestone bt003 rear tire):
1) Emulators & 15w oil: front end no longer chatters and bounces over broken pavement at the track at full lean like it used to with stock forks. It really does feel planted over nearly anything, and when it does slip, its pretty progressive and will run you wide instead of just tucking you into the ground, but I'm sure the tire has lots to do with this as well! Really... gives you a ton more confidence in the front end of the bike over stock! Again, this is really track-only feedback here.
2) Springs: Another MUST for racing/tracking even at my 150 lbs, since it keeps the front end from bottoming (mostly... I think I might get preload adjusters to tighten them just BARELY) under hard braking and cornering, letting the suspension soak up bumps and do its happy dance also increasing confidence.

Basically: for racing, emulators/springs/15w oil are essential if you're over like 120 lbs haha. It changed my bike from front end chattermonkey into planted and rear-slideypants, which I like better for SURE because it doesn't make you pucker up as much and I hate having to dig half my stinkybritches outta there.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote