View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM   #176
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I've been reading up on threads in this forum about emulators/preload adjusters/gold valves/etc. and I still don't understand the difference. Although I know what preload adjusters do but the others...I'm at a lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Hopefully what I know of these things are correct, but obviously correct me if I'm wrong.
Emulators- Used to mimic cartridge forks that most supersports come stock. They're used to set rebound dampening and compression dampening (how quickly the spring will bounce back). It's a way to have a plush ride while still being firm (think going over bumps).
Emulator is short for "Gold Valve Cartridge Emulator." That's Race Tech's name for the part.

Cuong is correct in that it improves front end feel, but emulators only affect compression damping. They sit on top of the damping rod already in the fork.

The damping rod in the fork has holes for both rebound and compression damping. When you put in an emulator, typically you drill out the compression holes in the damping rod so as to make them useless. That way the emulator now takes over the duties of compression damping, and the damper rod continues to do the duties of rebound damping.

The only way to affect rebound characteristics (in damping rod forks like in our Ninja 250's) is 1) to re-size the rebound holes in the damping rod or 2) to change the viscosity of the fork oil.

Hope this helps. And if you want to know more, I suggest you take a gander at Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible.
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote