Thread: first ride :)
View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2018, 06:38 AM   #116
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
thank you. you may just be right, even if it's what I don't want to hear.
Riding can be very enjoyable, but it's serious business.

Back when I started riding in the late 70s it wasn't as intense on the roads as it is now. I started riding at 13 on dirt bikes, was racing MX at 15, started street riding at 16, and road racing at 17. I learned most of my skills on the dirt (the hard way), but it has paid off on the street many times. When I was younger I wasn't quite as safety conscious, and came very close to disaster many times. That's where the dirt riding comes in. Learning to bring a cycle back from the edge of out of control is very beneficial, and I still ride on the dirt (and snow) in order to keep my skills sharp. You never know when you will need it.

I would like to see you take the course, but also get some time on the dirt to really learn what a cycle does when it's on the edge.

My 2 boys (18 and 21) had been riding on the dirt since they were about 4, but I still made them drive a car for a year and take a riding course before getting their cycle license.

I know it's hard to do (especially with a new cycle), but go slow and be patient when learning. The consequences are just too high to jump into it unprepared.

We all want you to have a long, safe, and enjoyably riding career.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote