View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #23
billmi
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 82 XV750, 99 DR200SE, 04 DR200SE, 08 DR200SE, 95 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Bill, have you been to the private track in Palm Bay yet? There is a development down there where they put the roads in but never built any houses. I forget who told me about it but it is a beautiful place to have some fun with your bike.
Locally it's known as The Compound. I live less than 2 miles from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_compound

Off the north edge of it is Bombardier's test lake and test track. We had flat black Can Am Spyders cruizing around the neighborhood about a year before they went public.

The main roads are in decent shape, but you have to watch it for potholes - lower speed pre-running the roads out there is pretty much necessary, or you can come around a blind corner into a car rim, refrigerator, tree (in some of the roads trees have grown up in the middle of the street) or whatever else got dumped or grew out there. It has a very Mad Max feel to it.

A few years ago, the police cracked down on the street racing, paintball games and off-road riding out there, so it's pretty quiet anymore. I have a friend who lived here in the 80s, and he said the drag races out there were huge, and when the police showed up, they used their speed guns to time the runs.
billmi is offline   Reply With Quote