View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #7
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Yeah, I'm there as much as I'm here, though I post here more often. On their site there has been much discussion about their format, the upshot being that the site administrator likes it and isn't going to change it. IMHO I think he keeps that format mainly because it's not this format; in other words, to be contrary and nothing more.

They rely on cookies to keep track on your machine what responses are new since the last time you visited; the new posts are marked with a very tiny yellow square. If something goes wonky with that cookie system, on either your end or theirs, then poof, there's no freaking way to tell what posts are new and what aren't. Also, you have to be logged in (which requires registration, obviously) for the cookie system to work. Also, if you follow the site from more than one machine you spend a lot of time trying to figure out what's new.

The end result is that it's inordinately inconvenient and needlessly difficult to navigate or keep track of what's going on in a given thread, especially if it has more than a handfull of replies.

Though they do have a wealth of information in their FAQ, the forums are not going to last. Maybe that's what the admins want. I dunno. I gave up trying to get them to see the light long ago. I hope they survive mainly because of the FAQ resources, but I don't think they'll ever be more than a marginal player because of that damn stupid format.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote