View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #10
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Your "buddy" is....incorrect. NGK's do not foul easily nor crap out. I've never had one fail other than just plain old worn out.

Given that you've changed carbs....I assume you've checked the bowls for fuel? Are the spark plugs wet with fuel? If it won't start, and you have dry plugs, it's one of three things: Valves, lack of compression, or dry carbs. Given you have new carbs.....

If bowls have fuel, you need to go back to the last thing you touched. Which is the top end and everything between that and the last part you put on, the seat. Double check all your work.

Did you disconnect the coils?
Did you hook those wires back up correctly?
Did you run all the vacuum hoses correctly?
All the vent hoses correctly?

If the answer to all of those is yes, you need to double check your valve work again. Occam's razor and KISS are the rules I live by.

Smoke out the exhaust.....what color? Shouldn't have any smoke. Does it smell like fuel? Oil? No smell, water perhaps? Antifreeze?
Spark plug swap is a cheap avenue to explore, I'm with you about ngk's though. Everything is installed properly. I have quadruple checked everything. When I pulled the plugs this afternoon they were wet. The "smoke" is very faint and smells of fuel. Compression test and plug swap will narrow it down. It's just that the bike ran after the valve job and flat out will not fire that has me stumped. If I have to back into the top end I have no choice. Btw, from the time it started till it stopped there was no indication that the timing got thrown off or a valve exploded.