View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #23
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
Got the GSXR forks this morning and pulled the cartridges at lunch to see what we're up against. The initial look confirms there three challenges to overcome when installing cartridges in 250 Ninja forks:

Challenge #1. Ninja fork inside diameter.
Challenge #2. Ninja fork inside diameter.
Challenge #3. Ninja fork inside diameter.

We're basically trying to stuff 10lb of.... ummm.... sugar in a 5lb bag.

Then there's two other challenges to overcome after installation:

Tuning:
1. Will it be in the ballpark?
2. Can I do more than just get it in the ballpark?

So I find myself at a crossroads. Do I continue down this road with the possible future benefit to all ninjettekind? Or do I abandon the idea and go a well-trodden/proven path of cartridge emulators?

I'll have to study things a little more and consult with Yamahawk too before I make a decision.
I know what you are saying, brother! 4-5mm id difference is a lot to deal with, but hey that's where we can get creative also! Sent you a PM on this as a reply!
I received the donor fork today, and should receive the GSXR600 forks by monday at the latest. If the ID is too much, perhaps there are other cartridges that will work better, or maybe we can adapt springs that will work better.