View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #45
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
The only problem with those stands is you can't split the case with the stand. And once the case is together you don't need to rotate the engine. The stand is also very low.
Actually, there is no problem splitting the case if you set it up the way I did in the photo. If you look closely you can see that I am only connected to the mounts on the top half of the engine (bottom of the photo). There is a short piece of angle iron steel that runs to the head or to the oil hole if the head is off. As far as its height, I'm 6-1 and it hasn't been too short for me.

So when the case is split, I have the head down like in the photo. When I'm working on the clutch or flywheel side, then I rotate it so that those are facing up or whatever is optimum. Then head up when I'm working on the cylinders.

It does take a little bit of time to get the holes in the angle drilled properly, but I've had to work on three engines using that setup so far and it was well worth the investment in time in my opinion. However, if you only plan on doing it once, the bench is good enough. I actually had the stand from a prior project so I didn't have to buy anything. The steel is from an old bed frame. Actually, I did have to buy some bolts, but they couldn't have been more than $10 total at the hardware store.

EDIT: Here is a photo of it split on the stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SplitStand.JPG (62.4 KB, 17 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.