Thread: Derbi GPR
View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #66
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Out of curiosity, what are your costs for all the p/c work your doing with the bike? Obviously if someone wanted to replicate there would be alot of labor cost, but whats it been running you?
Thousands! Just kidding, I own a powder coating business - www.apexcustomcoating.com.

The wheels would have been very expensive though. I spent at least 2 hours grinding/sanding before blasting and another 2 color sanding/buffing on each wheel.

Normally I would spend the equivalent of just over an hour and a half on each wheel that size (small) to strip, blast, prep, mask, and coat. That works out to roughly $110 each with materials. The misc parts and brackets would range from about $25 to $40, depending on detailing, assuming it was an in-stock powder.

Not cheap like some of the industrial/production shops that will fit-in your parts with their normal runs. Usually they won't do any prep (blasting, plugging holes, or any masking) which causes problems when you try to re-assemble the parts, and many times the parts are not fully cured because they use a conveyor that's set-up for thin parts like shelving. Some production shops also used "burn-off" ovens at around 800F to strip existing finishes. While that's fine on steel shelving, it completely erases the heat treating used on aluminum wheels to get adequate strength. I do a lot of race wheels, and never go into the temperature range where the strength of the wheel is affected.

I'm not in a hurry, and strive for superior detail, as well as the best durability possible. I like to think you get what you pay for.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.