View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2018, 05:27 PM   #51
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I went to lunch at the local gyro shop a few weeks ago. Was carrying my Kindle.

Gyro guy: "What'cha reading?"
Me: "Oh, a book about physics." (Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes, excellent)
Gryo guy: "Let me ask you a question. Prove to me that gravity exists."
Me: "Well, Einstein showed that it's a warping of spacetime...."
Gyro guy: "Einstein was a fraud! rant, rant, rant...."

I backed away slowly.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
You should have dropped your Gyro on his head. "Prove to me it doesn't and give me back my sandwich"
heheheh...

Over decades, I've discovered futility of trying to change certain types of people's minds. Doesn't matter how "right" you are or how "wrong" they are, it won't make one bit of difference. So I don't bother wasting time and breath. I wish I had discovered this ages ago, it would've made life so much easier for me!

Now for me, I always think about what kind of effect I want to produce in world before I utter my 1st word. And if I won't be able to produce effect desired, I keep my trap shut. Results I look for are:

1. is it beneficial and fair to all concerned?
2. will it foster goodwill and relationships?
3. is it truth?

Last one I've had most difficulty with because as humans, our senses are flawed and can never access full truth; just our interpretations of it. For example, when objective and calculating instrument displays "70F", some people will say, "Darnit, it's freezing in here", while others will say, "It's damn toasty in here, turn on AC!". Completely opposing views of world for exact same situation.

That's why I'll try and confirm other's views on things before making up my mind. In order to produce results I want, it doesn't matter what I think most of time, it's what majority out there thinks that matters. Especially those with direct influence to produce situations I want. Since starting new position 18-months ago here in S.F. Bay Area after moving up from Santa Barbara, I've been promoted 3x, doubled my salary; faster than anyone else in my group. I'm even with someone who've been here 10-years. I attribute that to keen listening and observation abilities, and keeping trap shut unless it makes difference. I wished I learned decades ago that higher and higher you go, less and less skills and production ability makes difference. It's all about who you know and how much they like you.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote