View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2018, 06:47 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Fork seals leaking after hard bumpy ride?

Surely this has been discussed before but the forum has been a little slow lately so figured I'd post it for a quick opinion or two.

I have rebuilt my forks 3 times now and seem to have found an excellent combination of preload/spring-tension/oil-level/oil-weight.

The road I use to test the forks is extremely rough. Year and years of patched potholes, it makes your vision blurry and you need to clench your jaw so your teeth don't rattle. It's very bumpy. Very. That's my point.

So after blasting down it and back at 37mph and after nailing a few speed bumps at 50 or 60mph (not joking) ---- my right fork seal started leaking. All the way down the lower tube and almost onto the brakes before I limped it home.

The bike went through an absolute suspension torture test. The front seems 100% dialed in and feels perfect. Yet the fork seal leaked. Don't think I lost much fluid. Planning on riding the bike more to see if it leaks more.

Maybe it only leaked because I nailed a few speed bumps at 60mph.

I don't think anything in there was improperly installed, it's all mechanically sound.

No scratches or gouges on the fork tube.

Why did it leak? Time will tell if it leaks more.

Did I exceed what this bike was mechanically engineered to do?

Maybe the design of these forks simply cannot handle the abuse I put them through.

Any thoughts? Thanks!