View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2018, 12:26 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunatrout View Post
Hi Everyone,

Ninja 250 2006.

While I was riding I heard a clacking noise in rhythm with the current speed like.. clack____clack____clack. As I went faster the clacking increased. The clacking continued when bike coasted in neutral. It only clacked while moving. I pulled over to inspect and didn't notice anything with the chain or wheels.

When I went to pull out the bike locked (as if I left a pad lock on the disk) before a full wheel rotation. I tried again and then the clutch disengaged. If I force the shifter into first the bike won't go into gear. What could the issue be? Do you think the clutch basket needs replace. Any experience would really helpful before I tear into this thing. Thank you!!

Notes: I had been over due for an oil change and the bike had recently sat for a couple months. This is my 5th day riding since I got it fixed. I also had been using car oil to top off oil (I know, I regret this).

Zac
That would suggest something related to the wheels and not the engine. Chain is the first thing to come to mind. A damaged link or over-tightened chain will make noise. Get the rear wheel up in the air and spin it, listening for anything odd. The speedo drive on the front wheel can make noise also. It's a little trickier to get the front up in the air to spin it, but it may be worth doing if the rear wheel and chain check-out fine.

The second issue might be clutch-related, but have you tried clicking it in and out of gear while rocking the cycle forward and backward?

Is it in neutral (green light on) now?

Is the oil level correct?

I don't think the oil caused the problem, but I would change it as soon as you have this figured out. Use a diesel oil like Rotella or Delvac. Rotella T6 (blue jug) is a good choice IMO.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote