Old September 7th, 2018, 03:45 PM   #24
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Not really. Rear never bottomed, traction and handling not an issue. I wouldn't try to tow more than this, though.

One bit of info that's missing here is that the car has air bag helper springs in the rear, but they were leaking that day and I didn't have time to chase down the cause so they were not inflated.

Lots of the feedback I get is "say goodbye to your transmission/clutch/brakes." All I know is what I've experienced first-hand:

190,000 miles on the car
Zero transmission issues
Zero engine issues
Zero cooling issues (heat index was about 100 the day that pic was taken)
Original clutch
Brakes replaced at normal intervals
Suspension does not bottom (but it's close)
No adverse handling... never a hint of instability
Close to 30mpg while towing.

I should note that I do NOT drive the car as if it were unloaded. I drive it as if it were an 18-wheeler... accelerate slowly, plan deceleration and stops well in advance, speeds kept close to the limit, no unnecessary stress.

The whole point here is not that this is the world's best tow rig. It's to show that you don't need a freakin' monster truck to tow a bike, nothing more.
hear, hear!

I said it a while back, the first person I thought of when it came to towing with a small car, was you. I would think if there were ever any big issues that you would have mentioned them. For 1 bike and a light trailer, small cars have been proven to be just fine. I know I could have towed my bike with this lil girl if she had been up to the task mechanically/body wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg persephone2.jpg (241.5 KB, 3 views)

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote