Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advincula View Post
....... My question is: What kind of problems should I look out for? I've read that the piston rings need proper lubrication during the break-in period of the engine to develop good seals, and that in extreme situations you can blow a piston from lack of lubrication, but that's all I really learned from research. Should I be on the lookout for advanced wear? Damage to the rings/rods/block?
The wear of the engine happens during start ups, when not enough pressure of oil keeps moving metal parts separated.
Short trips at relatively low speeds and frequent start ups can kill any engine many times faster than old oil.

The lubrication system is fed by a pump; hence, as long as there is enough oil level in the crankcase for that pump to suck it up, oil will flow onto all intended parts (even if the filter is too dirty and clogged, because there is a built-in by-pass).

Besides accumulated dirt and carbon from combustion, other potential risk is decomposition of oil due to high temperatures and contamination with gasoline or coolant.

Please, read this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_Synthetic_Oil%3F

These engines will assertively let you know when lubrication has been deficient, even for short periods of time: they can be either properly lubricated or blown apart.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote