View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #7
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I adjusted things the best I could today and found that the front wheel was out of alignment with the bars. That didn't help. I loosened the triple clamps and held the front wheel between my knees and tweaked the bars in an attempt to line them up with the front wheel.

Very hard to get any sort of precise data on this. The best I could align the front tire to the bars was with a downward look along the nose of the bike and the center groove in the tire. Hard to tell if I got it right or not.

Then I pulled strings from the front tire to the rear tire and did the best I could to align the front and rear tire string gaps.

Seemed to be a compromise between either the sprockets being in alignment or the tires being in alignment.

If the sprockets line up, the rear tire was not true to the front tire. If the tires were true, the sprockets were not in alignment.

I replaced the rubber chain guide as well, and the line along the center which the chain was supposed to track along/be-in-alignment-with was off as well. The chain guard was pointing toward the center of the rear axle moreso than the chain.

Had a friend follow me around on a minibike at low speed and watch from behind, and then we switched bikes and did the experiment again.

We both concluded that the rear sprocket was pointing more toward the right hand grip.

I also noticed the paint worn off or rear sprocket on the out-side. In side of rear sprocket didn't have as much chain-wear-paint-stripping.

I try to be as precise as I can with this sort of thing -- and all these adjustment measurement strategies seem so crude. There is no satisfaction in getting it "right" -- because it's hard to tell what adjustments I am making and if they are indeed going in the right direction.