View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #29
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
It was a great time, glad andy managed to make it out there as we had some good conversation during the main races on sunday.

saturday I mostly hopped around watching in the rain, the supersport and superstock 600 races were a complete mess. I lost count of the highsides and highside saves I saw out of T5. the superstock 600 guys had the worst conditions as the track dried mid-race causing their tires to get destroyed and be even slipperier at the end of the race than when it was raining. The ktm race 1 was good but my guy (brandon paasch) didn't get the finish he was looking for and was getting beat up on the straights, which is something I'm not used to seeing.

Day 2, sunday, rolls around and I wake up to a fairly boring scene as no one is there yet except for the racers and the teams. I head over to the ycrs garage where everyone is watching the moto3-moto2 races with some good banter going along with it as everyone was trying to pull as much information from what they were watching as possible to better themselves as riders.

head over to the paasch pit and everyone's chilling debating about the gearing choice or if he's just not as good on the brakes. We decided that trying to have him change something in his riding was not the best idea so we sent him out to the race practice on new gearing in the hopes that he won't top out the bike at the end of the straights anymore. It works though his times seemed to have suffered and he wasn't able to pass as aggressively in the back sections. It's decided to stick with the gearing for the race.

I head back over to the ycrs garage where the motogp race has started and jump back into the banter. It was a ridiculous race, and somewhere around a third of the way through the race keith code shows up and gives his own feelings about the techniques and approaches that the riders were using in the wet. I never knew just how many variables people see at the top level, I do so many things in a "set it and forget it" manner that I don't even begin to see the minute differences that really win the motogp races. I learned so much right then and there that I will take with me everywhere I go, it changed how I look at races completely from a spectator's point of view and it enables me to learn much more than I previously had from other racers. Keith was the most surprised out of all of us when a certain someone crashed out but the variables changing mid-race could definitely lead to something like that.

Around the time the motogp race closed up the ktm rc390 cup final round was heading out. I watched from the tower to keep an eye on brandon as he was fighting for 4th the whole race with the second pack. He was still getting beat up at the end of the straight but not nearly as much as the previous race. The race ended on red flag as jody barry crashed out of 3rd and brought out the red flag. This brought brandon up to his 3rd place finish, very respectable but not what he wanted out of the weekend.

From there the rest of my day was spent talking with andy while watching the superstock 600, supersport, and superbike races

it blows my mind that the fastest lap from the supersport race was only a tenth off of the fastest lap of the superbike race. I guess the track really is a 600 track