View Single Post
Old June 2nd, 2016, 11:51 AM   #22
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Some?? Most of their fleet had head gasket issues......the Impreza has 14 YEARS of documented issues....1999-2011 and 2012-2103. The Forester has issues from 1999-2014! 15 years of blown engines!

These vehicles all have cylinder head gasket related issues:
Impreza 1999 to 2011
Forester 1999 to 2010
Legacy 2000 to 2009
Outback 2000 to 2009
Baja 2003 to 2006

They had 10 years to fix it and didn't.

They also had to have a class action lawsuit filed against them in regards to the oil issues, they were denying owners warranty coverage for an issue that should have been covered. Like I said, I cannot in good faith recommend someone buy one. I know they're popular cars but they also screw people over big time.
Technically it was two distinct issues with the head gaskets. A Phase 1 2.5 engine and a Phase 2 engine. The two types of issues were different. And the same engine was shared across multiple platforms, hence the issue affecting a longer list of vehicles. The other engines in the lineup did not have the head gasket issues. And they can be remedied, Subaru actually doing so in many cases. Sometimes the Phase 2 issue being as simple as a coolant additive.

That being said, yes - the head gasket issue was not a good thing - and the piston ring issue as well. Doesn't mean everything the manufacturer makes is garbage. I mean Subaru has consistently ranked on the higher end of the Consumer Reports Reliability Survey for years.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote