View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2022, 11:11 PM   #1
Gundamned_
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lewis

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Kawasaki EX250F Yellow/Purple

First time bike owner, crank with no start on 02 250

It's late at night so I can't post photos for now, but hello! a couple months ago I bought an EX250F with my brother from a guy who had it from his son who bought it from a guy who bought it from a girl who we think worked at a medical campus from the parking sticker on it. Anyways, we changed the oil and filter on it, then removed the top rear end of the bike to remove the air box and carburetors, then the fuel tank because it was full of 6 year old gasoline.

While my brother worked on disassembling and cleaning then rebuilding the carbs, I cleaned out the fuel tank with almost 4 gallons of evaporust, and letting it sit for probably about 2 weeks in various positions. I then drained it, washed it with a couple quarts of gasoline, drained that, then washed again, drained that, then again before wiping it down, putting a brand new petcock in it, and putting about 2 gallons of 87 octane gasoline. On the side panel I later read that the recommended fuel is 91 so I'll be buying some later (especially since I'm totally out of fuel in all my spare containers).

We just finished reassembling the carburetors today, and while my brother thinks we cleaned everything out all the way, I'm still a little iffy, especially since the engine doesn't turn over. I'm not hearing anything pops (however I've never worked on a bike before so I have no reference) but the oil pressure light did turn off after about 5 minutes of cranking over the period of half an hour. Probably 5-15 seconds of cranking each time. Not sure if fuel is going through the carbs at all or if the fact that thr airbox doesn't fit right anymore onto the carbs is an issue, but it's a total pain to get the box out when Kawasaki designed it to be wider than the top of the frame. Seriously, it's so dumb that I have to remove the entire rear wheel and fender and whatever just to take out the airbox. I've been told using pod air filters can cause problems so I'm not looking forward if I have to use that for some reason.

We're gonna try to figure something out tomorrow, but if anyone has any advice, I would very much appreciate it.
Gundamned_ is offline   Reply With Quote