Old February 19th, 2018, 05:38 PM   #24
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero
I wouldn't worry too much about the beta carb and sticking WOT. Pretty sure the beta uses a keihin pwk style carb, they are the best. Stuck WOT issues are typically mechanical issue, grips put on wrong, cable poorly routed, dirt causing slide to stick, clogged pinched vent lines. I'm sure if it has happened on a few bikes someone has figured out the issue and has an easy fix for prevention

KTM advertises "ready to race" but their bikes especially their 2 strokes are pretty tame and often come with adjustments to make the power delivery just how you want it. For example i think all the 2 stroke bikes 125 -300cc no matter the model all have an adjustable power valve with 2 modes of adjustment. You can change to 1 of 3 springs for big changes in delivery, Green being mellow, yellow in the middle and red spring being aggressive. On top of that there is also a power valve adjuster screw for more subtle changes. So you could put in the mellow green spring, then turn the adjuster to as mellow as it goes and it would be like riding and 4 stroke. They also have an ignition map "switch" under the seat somewhere i believe. It is more of an plug than a switch but it used to be that unplugged was mellow map, and plugged together was aggressive map or other way around, you get the idea.

I have some decent time on a 16 ktm 250xc and it is fairly mellow compared to my yz250x and i think that my yz250x is pretty tame. I rode an 18 300xc only for a short time but i also thought it was mellow, the power was very linear, controllable and tractable. Easy bike to ride

I don't know a whole lot about the ktm free ride. I'm sure it is a good bike, from what i have read and heard it is more trials oriented over the beta xtrainer and not quite as good as a trail rider. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, again, i'm sure it is a great bike and either or will perform extremely well for you.
Exactly, all of the above. I rode the Freeride in both "map" settings (I believe it's ignition advance that's making the difference?) and found it tough to handle in "fast" mode in slow single track, but like dancing in "slow" mode..... at this point, my riding skills and the specificity of what I "need" in a bike don't really narrow my choice down to any one particular bike, but I do know that the freeride would suit me really well. My average speed tends to be well under 20 mph and I am interested in technical riding and single track.

If I hate it, I can sell it! Appreciate the valuable input as always.