View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2017, 11:41 PM   #34
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
Feel.

I'm most impressed by riders who can understand what the chassis and tires are communicating before exceeding the limit. I think everyone can learn to be smooth up through where the tires stick. It's trying to learn how to interpret what the bike is doing, and understanding that for when the pace increases that is most impressive to me.

This is a good one. I'd agree, especially with being able to communicate effectively. I always struggled with this, coming in from practice and saying things like, "the bike feels....I don't know....weird and wiggly." and the mechanics were like, "weird and wiggly? can you explain that a little bit better, lol."

Do you think that some people are just naturally better at this or is is something that can be learned?
I think everyone can learn it up to a degree, but there will be some people who either learn faster or can feel differences to a finer degree.

With enough practice time, I think most people can be trained to feel the differences from gripping to the beginnings of the bike getting loose. However, I don't think everyone can get to the level of Lauda or Stoner in terms of feel even if they had unlimited resources.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.