Thread: Projects
View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:09 PM   #1
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 95 ninja 250, 08 KLR 650

Thumbs up Projects

Hi all. So I picked up two pre-gens as a package deal. They set me back about 900 when you factor in gas, tolls, and renting the truck. They were owned by an msf instructor but were retired from the course. One was a 95 with 5000 miles the other was an 02 with 1200 miles. The 95 was no longer road legal due to some non existent turn signals/mirrors, speedo cable and bits of broken plastic held together by duct tape. It had developed a fairly significant ( in my eyes) oil leak, on top of this there was no coolant in the overflow reservoir which also alarms me. The 02 was bought from the original owner who hadn't had it running since 04/05, the new owner never got it running either chalking it up to "an electrical problem". Upon questioning him further he didn't seem to know anything about it, that's just what Mr. Previous owner said.
Anyway on to the future. I'm still up in the air with what I would like to do with them, I definitely want to get the 02 running but it's also going to take the most work. It looks good on the outside but it still has the original tires on it, the gas tank is rusty with holes rusted through on either side, the carburetor is full of rust, rodents have made a nest by the regulator rectifier, bearings squeak and grind as you push it around the garage, cables are going to need to be replaced. The 95 needs more help cosmetically so it is my track candidate but it has a clean title so it might become a street bike also, maybe a blue collar bobber kit? I'm hoping the only real problem here is the oil/coolant leak and I would like to replace the clutch plates since I'm sure they are a bit worn out. The engine I was assured "ran when parked" two years prior but didn't try it yet. Everything spins freely by hand though. Pulled the gas tank and carbs first thing but they are clean as a whistle. I haven't put them back in because I might put them on the 02 while I try to get it running. Getting them back to stock running condition is all I'm aiming for right now. Looking to get everything going for less than 1000. Batteries, tires, pads, plugs, sprockets, chains, fluids and filters will be a few hundred at least. Keeping my eyes out for a good parts bike candidate that has everything else I need.
Tips?
Tricks?
General pre-gen things I should be aware of. All input is welcome.
Nextbesthing is offline   Reply With Quote