View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #1
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Any Lane Splitting Tips

I know its legal some places and not legal other places, regardless lets just say lane splitting was legal everywhere whats the safest way to lane split. So I took the bike to work now that carbon tax has come in and petrol here in Ireland cost 2.5 times what your paying in the states.

So just from this mornings commute....

Most of the time I only split lanes at red lights, when I saw the light go red and I knew its not going green for at least 25 seconds (long enough for me to get between the cars and emerge in front of them at the red light).

Once I used a turn right lane to go past a queue of 20 cars. Only one car was turning right. When i got there i went between him and the car to the left that was going straight. Literally just as I got between them the light went green, but as I was already moving just a blip of the throttle got me in front of both so I could indicate I was going straight. Next time I'll probably wait.

Later on we got to a 2 lane road, with a 3rd lane just for buses. Technically speaking bikes should not be in there but its an empty lane and very safe for spliting, although once I did have to get out of it for a double decker bus. Next lights we still had another bus so i went down the middle, although at the front of the queue I forget to move out to one of the lanes and think i held up another biker who wanted to get to the front also.

So I think I did a pretty crappy job this morning, I think I know why and how to improve but I'd love any tips on lane splitting safely without upsetting other road users.