View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #21
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I stop lane splitting when traffic is moving at ~30mph. I move pretty slow through stopped traffic, and never much faster than the flow of traffic.

Sometimes I just move into a traffic lane when cars start moving, especially if there are two large vehicles next to each other.

feet per second (X) .75 (divided by) 16 = car lengths in reaction time.

You could also subtract the fps of traffic from your fps to find your lane splitting reaction time.

x-y=Z [x=your fps] [y=traffic fps] z=difference between your speed and the speed of traffic in fps.
z*.75=r [z=difference in speeds in fps] r=reaction time in feet using differences in speed
r/16=c [r=reaction time in feet] c=car lengths in reaction time, using differences in speed.
c+1=F =potentially safe reaction time.

F would be what you could potentially use in court to prove you were not going at an unsafe rate of speed while lane splitting. Obviously other laws apply other than "safe" speed.

Obviously the above numbers were just an example based off what I know. You can sub in any reaction time you want by replacing '.75'. You can replace the average length of a car by replacing '16'. You can replace whatever you want, this is no legal advice.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote