Old August 15th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #332
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken neck View Post
Which model is it at 32dB?

I'm riding with Howard Leight Max Lite NNR30.

I love them, I have somewhat small ears and usually the plugs were always putting to much pressure so they were very uncomfortable, but those Max Lite, they put almost no pressure and they are very quiet.

I would recommend them to those who feel uncomfortable with plugs.

I use the Max Leights on occasion too; somewhat large, but quite comfortable.

For higher NRR I use E-A-R EarSoft Blast or E-A-Rsoft SuperFit. From what I gather (I emailed the company, a subsidy of 3M), except for the price and 'graphic' on them, they are the same plug.

The best way to find the plugs for you is to try out a bunch of different ones and see which fit you the best and are most comfortable for you, as well as find out how much attenuation you want. The best way to do this is with an assortment pack. I highly recommend this pack. It has 35 different sets of plugs ranging from NRR 28-33 (28dB attenuation - 33dB). [Please note, dB values are non-linear, so although that might not seem like a wide range, 28dB and 33dB attenuation is quite a bit; volume/attenuation amount doubles each 3dB] If you find that 28dB is still too quiet for you, check out the Reusable pack.

The biggest difference between re-usables and disposables: re-usables will last you upwards of a year if you rinse them off every now and then; disposables last me 2-4 weeks depending on how often I ride. Reusables typically max out at about 28dB (though I have seen a few at 32) and come as low as 10dB; disposables go all the way up to 33dB. Lastly, reusables come with a larger upfront cost, but you don't keep replacing them like with disposables.

If you're just looking for something to primarily cut out some of the wind noise, check out reusables in the NRR10-14 range.

Lastly, if you use a helmet communicator (Sena, Cardo, etc.) earplugs of any sort can hugely impact the quality of how they sound. Most helmet communicators I've tried sound very thin and lack low end when playing music through them. Due to acoustical physics, wearing earplugs will help bring back that low end and make your music sound more full and natural, the way you're used to hearing it. For speech and communications, I've found that even low NRR earplugs will make it much easier to understand the person(s) you're talking to as they help cut down the wind noise, which is the main sound competing with the voice you're trying to listen to. Not only does making it easier to hear the person more enjoyable to have a conversation with, you also have to focus on it less, letting you focus more on the road and your safety.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.