Thread: Urban Survival
View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:13 AM   #31
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I have a Scorpion EXO-500 in hi-vis with the Oil pattern. It's got quite a bit of hi-vis on it, but the pattern breaks it up a bit so you don't look totally like a traffic cone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill
And based on an experience on the way to work last week, and a couple more while out riding today, I think the hi-vis is working too. At least three times now, cars have zipped right up to the road from side streets or driveways, looking like they weren't going to stop (once to the point of actually putting it in reverse and backing up a little), but they all did. It could be that they simply weren't expecting any traffic and would have seen me regardless, but I can only assume the hi-vis helped at least a little.
Quote:
The Purkinje effect is the tendency for the peak luminance sensitivity of the human eye to shift toward the blue end of the color spectrum at low illumination levels.

This effect introduces a difference in color contrast under different levels of illumination. For instance, in bright sunlight, geranium flowers appear bright red against the dull green of their leaves, or adjacent blue flowers, but in the same scene viewed at dusk, the contrast is reversed, with the red petals appearing a dark red or black, and the leaves and blue petals appearing relatively bright.

At dusk, my helmet looks almost glow-in-the-dark, as you might see on some other neon/brightly-colored things. Whereas everything else gets that dusky, muted look to it, the helmet seems even brighter. I don't know if it's technically Purkinje effect or some other phenomenon, but it really stands out in low-light.

I still want to add some reflective tape to it. I have stealth reflective tape on my wheels already.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote