adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple R View Post
I want fiberglass but I suppose ABS will do. I'll also need these ASAP or I will just order some hot bodies.
You do know why race fairings are always made of fiberglass, right?

ABS crashes and it tends to shatter easily. Repairs are often impossible because you need all the bits there... you can repair a crack but missing/ground off stuff, not so much. Chances are you do not get to ride a faired bike again until they get replaced... and if they're low-cost Chinese imports, good luck finding a replacement part. In theory you can patch with glass and ABS-friendly resin, but... not optimal. Best of luck.

Fiberglass crashes and it cracks/delaminates but is generally repairable. Often a crash will leave the glass cloth intact even if the matrix has been compromised. Unless it's really bad, you don't even miss a session. Then you go home, repair the fairing and you're good to go for your next day. If you've been to the track I'm sure you've seen lots of fairings that have been repaired over and over.

Note: A member pointed out that fiberglass resin is critical, and he is of course right. The best race glass costs because it's made with quality epoxy resin, not vinylester or el-crappo, brittle low-end epoxy.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; November 24th, 2015 at 12:38 PM.