View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #22
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Your math is broken. First if you are doing "5 days a week" there is only an average of 21 days a month not 25. Second once you make it "weekly" you shouldnt multiply by 25, 4.33 would be a better number since there are 4.33 weeks in an average month Correcting both of those issues you are looking at just under $2k/year in savings - at current gas prices.
$7.56 * 5 * 52 = $1965 and change

I think his question was more about spending money to improve the 50mpg to 60mpg. The savings there at 10mpg 21 days a month (average "work days" per month) 30 miles per day is not that much.

50mpg $45 and change
60mpg $38 or so

A $7 month savings to get the better fuel economy so if it costs more than $50 or so it wont be with it if the relative gas price stabilizes. If the relative price (how much "work" you have to put in to earning money for 1 gallon of gas) increases, and it will in May when the summer blend comes out and driving demand goes up, then this increases.

Even at $10/mo justifying more than $120 or so in upgrades just to save money seems like a losing proposition. Now if you are doing it for other reasons as well then you have to factor that in but if it is purely financial it seems like making a multi-year investment up front may not be that useful because in these turbulent times you dont know what next year will bring. I can guarantee that it will do at least one of 3 things, get better, get worse or stay the same.
Awww man, how stupid i feel!!! I dont know why i didnt see that...urghhh i knew it was wayyy too high to be true!!! And im good at math, I'm asian!! jk, Anyways, i overlooked that highly. I was doing that in my Web Design Class, and i was kind of rushing and i didnt think about it. My bad Anyways even with a $2,000 savings in a year, that pays off my bike. Then next year, i'll have $2,000 more to spend on whatever else. Thanks for the correction, glad you pointed that out

Quote:
I think if u are spending 11k per year on gas then you need to seriously reevaluate you life and that's not even the claimed total spent, that's the claimed total saved. So you pay around 15k per year for gas? Lol
Thats EXACTLY what i was thinking when i did it, i was like...this cant be right??? lol, that would be bad if i was spending that much.
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote