View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #25
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
fair enough. the Js are estimated at 61 or 62 mpg so I dont see that as much of a difference. I did the math in my purchase decision of a cbr250 @ 77mpg vs a ninja250 @ 61mpg and it was about $20/month difference for me. The CBR required at least a corbin seat which would take years to pay off with that meager savings. Even the 61mpg number is still a $375-400/month savings for me vs my truck just to commute to work.

But hey the estimate for May (summer blend + summer driving season) is $0.60 cent increase not including anything in Afganistan, Iran, Syria, etc. That whole region is about to blow up again which can send gas prices up quite a bit (speculators can drive it up even if supply/demand forces do not change, the nature of commodities).

Roughly every $10 a barrel costs in futures contracts the pump price is $0.25/gallon ($0.95 or so national average base cost for excise taxes and refining). California has a $1.40 or so base price now which is why we are not paying $3.70 anymore.

Production in the US is up, we are exporting more than importing the problem to some degree is China demand. We are sending diesel and jet fuel to China because they will pay more than we will (which means it does not matter what the cost of getting it here is). One issue with production is that we are only able to use the high cost methods, methods that cost several times what some other methods would cost. Granted if we did both of them the supply might outweigh the demand and prices would fall to the point the expensive stuff had to slow or stop but meh.

All in all I do not see good things for gas prices and that may influence the demand on smaller engine bikes driving the price up. Yeah all that really was thread related
Why would the CBR need a Corbin?
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote