Old September 26th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Anyone compare track day pricing with Club Racing prices? I would think that after one or two track days a club race would be more fun and maybe cheaper.
i can only talk about the local club and track day groups, but...

typically a track day runs between 160 to 200 for chuckwalla per day... so a 3 day weekend might cost $5-600 plus expenses. normal 3 group rotation with 20 minutes per group often not breaking for lunch more than a few minutes to swap out CW's... typically 2-6 crashes a day. often the orgs here keep 2 medics so when one gets sent out people can keep riding.

cvma yearly: $120 (50 for mechs)
cvma first race: $100
cvma each additional race: $50
transponder rental: $20

you get 2x 15min practice sessions and a 20min qualifier. the 250 races are usually 6 laps at 2.6mi/lap, average speed on the 250 is around 85.
250s can race in 250ss, which has sat and sunday, and L/W shootout which i think only runs saturday. not allowed in twins as its meant for the bigger bikes.

this is considerably less time than you get at a track day. maybe half the time or less. but the intensity of the riding during that time more than makes up for it.

so you top out at $100 + $50 + $50 + $20 = $220 a weekend plus expenses, or $340 if it's your first time racing. but you actually have to take the new racer school before you can race, so if you do that saturday its the cost of a track day w/ racer license which is $100... so for your first 3 day weekend of racing you top out at $440 in track fees.

alternatively if you dont want to race but just ride, you can get a cvma membership for $120 a year... and then just ride $100 practice track days at the racer discount price.

the problem is... NRS runs in A group... and if you can't run in A group... you ain't gonna be doing so great... which kinda sucks for new riders... kinda nicer for a new rider to be able to do things slower with a track day in C group... but on the other hand jumping straight in, you would learn very quickly