Old April 16th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #1
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Fork Seal Leaking

So they're leaking again.

I'll start from the top.

First, I've bought some race tech gold valve and race tech spring. I have a friend that repair motorcycle as a living, so he did the installation for me.
He put some new fork seal when he put the fork back on the bike. But they started leaking a short time after the rebuild.
He said, sometimes you can get a set of bad seals, so he took the back the bike and change the seal again.

Then, they started leaking again, he was very puzzled, but said nothing, took the bike back again, he even bought a new tool to install the seal (he thought it could have been the problem since he had it for quite sometime).

I rode it a bit after the change and winter came...

I took the bike out since its riding season again...

Someone came to see my bike tonight and he noticed that the seal was leaking. What, again?

So, can you help me figuring out what could be the problem.

Bad installation? My friend is very meticulous...
Bad seal? He uses OEM ones.
Too much oil in the fork? I have to check back with him to know how much he put and if he calculated the height with the spring and the valve inside.
Other idea?

Once I'm here. Since I'm a francophone, I might have some trouble understanding technical stuff that might gets complicated, like figuring out how to calculated the relaxed preload and actual preload. Why do I need to calculate that? Does it have to do with the recommended preload for my weight?

Since we all own Ninja 250R, we should have the same relaxed preload and actual prelaod? If we both use race tech spring. Did someone calculated it already? Once we know that number what do we do with it?

Sorry for all of those questions, but if I could get my fork set right and if i could solve the leaking seals, it would make life a little better.

If I'm all wrong about the preload thing and if you're patient to write something very "newbee proof", I'll be more than happy to read it.

Once again, thanks for your patience and help.
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote