View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #14
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

Texas motorcycle filtering and DPS code

Texas tried and failed a few years back to enact legislation to allow filtering... I started filtering in low speed or stopped traffic.

One day while riding down the dashed white line I rolled by a stopped motocop on a wide cruiser. He shouted at me. I stopped and rolled back beside him. (I was only doing about 15mph at that point and there was a slow train ahead...) We had a conversation about the legislation and I agreed to wait until it passed to do it again. He was pleasant about it.

The legislation got shelved and I'm still waiting for it to come up again. It looks like the AMA chart lists "Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes" for filtering and lane sharing in Texas.

It also looks like loud pipes are indeed legal here...

Texas Department of Public Safety - MSB - FAQs
#21 on the FAQ page. It says its not illegal, but other statues may come into play, and gives a code too.

Quote:
21. Question: Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?

Answer: The law doesn’t specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes “lane splitting” illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled “Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic.”

* An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
o shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
o may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm
Everyone drives 8k# trucks here...
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote