View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #31
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
If you look it up or ask those in the legal field you will probably find that all states have something about motorcycles and red lights. Most places with traffic cams are so busy you won't have to wait for the light. They also use more then just the ground sensor to know if a vehicle is there usually. A lot them also take video that they can use to double-check. Not saying all of them use any or all of them, but you're less likely to have issues with lights in places using the camera systems.

In FL the law is that if you wait for 3mins and the light doesn't change for you on a motorcycle you are allowed to proceed when safe.
Texas does not have any provision in law for a motorcyclist to proceed through a red light when it becomes apparent that the light triggering system is not recognizing the presence of the motorcycle. I've spoken to several police officers on this subject, every one of which stated categorically that they would issue a citation to a rider doing this even when it was apparent to the officer that the light was malfunctioning.

The real irony is that effective September 1, 2007, the law requires that lights trigger on bikes in this state: Sec. 544.0075. CERTAIN TRAFFIC-ACTUATED ELECTRIC TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNALS. (a) This section applies only to a traffic-actuated electric traffic-control signal that consists of a traffic-control signal for which the intervals vary according to the demands of vehicular traffic as registered by a detector and that is installed and operating at an intersection.

(b) In addition to any other type of vehicle the presence of which the detector for the traffic-actuated electric traffic-control signal may register, the detector for a traffic-actuated electric traffic-control device to which this section applies must be capable of registering the presence of a motorcycle.

Added by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 219, Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2007.

I ride through Arlington, Texas on a regular basis, and on top of their reputation for being anti-motorcycle they have many lights that violate this law. I've been calling in and reporting some of these lights for well over a year now to no avail. A few weeks ago I contacted the Texas Attorney General's office to find out about getting the law enforced. They responded that it was a civil affair and that I should contact the Arlington city attorney's office.

Yeah, like a city with a reputation like that is going to police themselves...

I'm still trying to find out who is really responsible for enforcing this law, especially as more cities move to non-timed and optical traffic signal systems.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote