View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:48 AM   #38
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Yeah, I got a new rear wheel off an aprilia rs250, shipped from Italy, been meaning to put up some pictures. This is the original wheel I wanted but gave up on finding one as I mentioned before. It looks good, will give me a little more room in the back to make things work but will still be far from bolt on. The main thing being lining up the sprockets/chain with clearance ect... The brake side will be cake.

Not a ton of physical progress as of late but definitely some. I made a spacer for the steering stem so I have everything to mount the front on, still need to extend steering stop tab but that is easy enough, just need to do it. After that just need to press the lower roller bearing onto the steering stem and I am good to go there.

Still doing lots of research on the swingarm conversion. Originally I thought I was going to just drill/ream out the holes in the frame (still might) but was talking to someone who just sleeved down the inner races of the pivot with bronze bushings and they said it is all good. This would be very easy and cheap so I might try this route and see how things fit/feel before I start altering the frame. I am a little hesitant to ream out these holes, They will go from 16mm to 20mm which isn't a big deal and there is a good bit of material in that area of the frame so structurally it will be fine but I am a little nervous about doing it myself and getting it as close to 100% straight/centered/even on both sides as possible. Might look to see if any custom shops around with better equipment would do it on the cheap since it is again just reaming out some existing holes. IDK? Probably worried about it for no reason and should just use drill press to ream it out myself

I like the idea of reaming out the holes for one reason because I can then use the larger 20mm rgv spindle bolt vs the 16mm stock rz, not sure if it would matter or I could notice though? Bigger is better....right? But it would also be the complete rgv stock setup as far as bearings races spindle ect... it is a complete system nothing hacked and stitched together

+ not sure how reasonable it is to use the bronze bushings here to sleeve down the OEM inner race? trying to find some info. Is the bronze material suitable or at least somewhat suitable for the job?

I need to take a day off work and devote the time to finishing up a few aspects of these conversions. Once I have it in roller form there is a lot of other things I can start to mess around with.

Slow and steady

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.