View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:50 AM   #291
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I'm very glad to see this thread is still alive.

Allow me to clarify a few points. First, when using glues or paints, preparation is key. You must clean everything like you suffer from a bad case of OCD because the better your surface prep is, the better the glue (or paint) can stick. Even a little bit of residue can seriously weaken a bond.

That said, I tried double-stacking zip ties to have even faster WOT response and the result was BINDING. What that means for you is there is a point of diminishing returns. A modestly thick zip tie is what you want along side clean bearing surfaces and glue. Superglue is incredibly strong, hard, UV stable and has only one weakness: acetone. Acetone is superglue's kryptonite. So, if you must remove superglue, use acetone (but be careful because acetone will also attack polymers...plastics).

Whoa! Went a little off topic...back to binding, you will not experience binding if you do the mod as shown. If you use a thicker zip tie or double stack the zip ties, you will run into binding issues.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote